Translate

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The road to hell is paved with good intentions

As with all best intentions, reality seems to straighten us out when we least expect it. I have been trying to put more time working on my wargaming stuff and life and work keeps getting in the way of my best planned objectives.

However a few things have moved along my work table (coffee table or kitchen table really) and that makes me feel that I have not wasted my time in the past weeks.

so I received the pendraken order with the spanish civil war (SCW) and great norther war (GNW) figs that I ordered. Mostly because I wanted to see if they were suitable for my purposes. They are great miniatures! pendraken really makes a top notch job casting them, and they were very attentive and responsive when I emailed them, since they took a long time to get here (about 3 weeks). I found out that they actually cast them on demand, I suppose that they do not do that with all the more popular ranges, but I have to say that I do not believe that they get an order every day for SCW or GNW figs and hence the need to cast them as orders come.

In any case, for as nice figures as they are I realized that 10mm is an awkward scale  for what I want to do with them, at least for the SCW ones. 10mm is great to create the feel of a large army and still have nice detail on the figures.  Arguably 15mm is similar but 10mm really gives you the "mass feel" when you play at the Corps level. So I think what I will do is order a few more packs and build a small force of each side ( a batallion of each kind, composed of 3 companies and each company with 3 platoons of about 10 figs each), so I can play small battles in a small table.
For the original purpose that I had for them I think I will use instead empress 28mm. so, this puts this project back at the start of the line.

For the GNW, I think they work, specially for the rules that I want to use. however, because I really like the look of the period, I think I will also build 28mm swedish and russian forces using musketeer and foundry figs (they are sooooo nice!)  but due to the price of these figs, I will do this slowly, probably in batches of 24 at the time.

Checking these pendraken figs convinced me to do my Franco-Prussian war project in 10mm and ordered a French and a Prussian army pack from them. I am actually really excited about this.

Finally I have jumped with both feet into the FIW and AWI periods. I have been working on my AWI British (Perry 28mm) and I am waiting for my old glory FIW order. In the mean time I have watched the last of the Mohicans and The Patriot a couple of times,  and I have been reading the classic work by Francis Parkman in two volumes "Pioneers of France in the New World" http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3721 which although written in 1865, still reads really well and its a lot of fun!

Anyway, I will post pics next time of what I have accomplished so far

No comments: